Monday, September 29, 2008

Classic Underated Albums: ABC - "Beauty Stab"

Like almost everything I post on this blog, ABC's "Beauty Stab" album was released in November of 1983. It was never going to live up to their classic Trevor Horn produced album " The Lexicon Of Love" but no one could have predicted the cold reception this album received. I think time has been a bit kinder to this misunderstood classic. For one thing, it includes one of the greatest lyrics in a pop song I can think of:
"She's Vegetarian Except When It Comes To sex." I mean....how great is that line. It comes from the non-hit "Unzipped", a great little vicious slice of post-punk that would have been celebrated if it had come from any band of that time OTHER than the gold suit-wearing Martin Frey and Co.
I think this album deserves a reassessment. It didn't have the super production that Lexicon lovers were accustomed to but I think the raw-like edge gives these songs a kick that Trevor would never attempt.
The closest thing to a hit came from the single " That Was Then But This Is Now", but it too was rejected. Especially in the US. WLIR played a great deal of this record when it came out, but I think by 1983 the kiddies were already over ABC and starting to go ga-ga over Duran Duran, Adam Ant and.....uh...Huey Lewis & The News (Blechh!!!)

ABC - UNZIPPED
ABC - THAT WAS THEN BUT THIS IS NOW
ABC - HEY CITIZEN
ABC - BITE THE HAND

Of coarse by 1985 ABC would re-emerge as cartoon characters with HOW TO BE A MILLIONAIRE. Dig this UK 12-inch of the title track. "Pounds Dollar Milliona-a-a-a-a-a-a-ire.
They did a lot of that back in 1985. I don't care how annoying it is...I still love it.

4 comments:

March2theSea said...

thank you for the link..
-march
(from forgotten disc friday)

I'll do some poking around!

Anonymous said...

'Millionaire' was played for a while on Rock Over London, along with 'That Was Then, This Is Now'. What happened to that show? I relied on it to get my music fix.

Dominic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

A diamond of an album and overall ABC's greatest work